Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Horrible Coeburn Coaching

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Big Dick Johnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 4th, 2009
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Horrible Coeburn Coaching

    With Coeburn's horrible last few seasons , as many have already questioned before, why does Coeburn keep Coach Mullins on the staff? I'm sure he's a good guy and all, but the guy just cant coach a winning team. After a few seasons resulting with a similar outcome as his have, any respectable program would have given the coach the boot. It almost like the program at Coeburn just exists, and no one cares otherwise.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member valour's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 9th, 2009
    Posts
    253
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Horrible Coeburn Coaching

    Quote Originally Posted by Big **** Johnson View Post
    With Coeburn's horrible last few seasons , as many have already questioned before, why does Coeburn keep Coach Mullins on the staff? I'm sure he's a good guy and all, but the guy just cant coach a winning team. After a few seasons resulting with a similar outcome as his have, any respectable program would have given the coach the boot. It almost like the program at Coeburn just exists, and no one cares otherwise.


    The program at Coeburn has went down hill. I am not saying it is due to the coach because I dont follow Coeburn football.
    [img]http://img471.imageshack.us/img471/7057/willferralcowbell2tn.gif[/img]

  3. #3
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Horrible Coeburn Coaching

    Not picking out any individuals because I don't know but everytime I hear about substance problems in Wise County, the area that gets the most talk is Coeburn. I kind of think that plays a big part, maybe some of the better ones don't play, and a few may have less brain cells than they should have. I do think they should be MUCH better than they are.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member JJK guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 31st, 2001
    Location
    Chattanooga, Tennessee
    Posts
    179
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Horrible Coeburn Coaching

    I feel the biggest problem for Coeburn is not coaching, but the home lives of many of these kids.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Unchained's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2005
    Location
    Norton, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    7,249
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Horrible Coeburn Coaching

    Lots of folks from Coeburn will tell you that it is Jack Davis and his money/running things that has ruined Coeburn's programs.
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
    Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future

  6. #6
    Inactive Member imported_Guest's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 3rd, 2008
    Posts
    36
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Horrible Coeburn Coaching

    Jack has done nothing but good for Coeburn, people say that his kids only played because of their daddys money, but they weren't bad players.

    When I played we had everything because of Jack, while other teams were trying to raise money, we were getting new gear every season. We also saw some stadium upgrades and had a weight room that would rival UVA Wise. We took chartered buses on games that where more than an hour away and it seemed like we had a team steak dinner every other week. The best part was, if you played a good game you got a little "allowance" afterwards.

    So there may be problems in Coeburn, but I assure you JD did much more good than bad. Most of the folks that blame him weren't very good or had kids that weren't good anyway.

    With all of that said, Jack lives in Florida now and doesn't have much to do with Coeburn high anymore.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member R13's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2007
    Posts
    10,269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Horrible Coeburn Coaching

    Has anyone seen their team? They just are awful, small and not that athletic.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Horrible Coeburn Coaching

    I figured Guest was right about JD now. Him not being in the area as much as he used to be. He may still donate here and there, but I doubt hes too concerned with whos getting playing time or anything like that.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  9. #9
    Inactive Member irish's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 24th, 2009
    Posts
    10
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Horrible Coeburn Coaching

    I usually don't offer my opinion on these sites but can't hold back on this one. Wouldn't even know Coach Mullins if I saw him so not biased either way.
    1st how many players work in the weight room year round?
    2nd you play with what you have do the better athletes not play?
    3rd the coaches can teach, review and send home plays on paper, review film and then do it all again, but they cannot control how the players react on the field.
    I as many cases as not IMO it's not the coaches fault a team is a weaker team. They cannot play for the kids.

    Bob Mullins

    (No relation to Coach Mullins, well all us Mullins' are kin somewhere down the line.)

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Biggin's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 18th, 2002
    Posts
    9,588
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Horrible Coeburn Coaching

    Quote Originally Posted by imported_Guest View Post
    Jack has done nothing but good for Coeburn, people say that his kids only played because of their daddys money, but they weren't bad players.

    When I played we had everything because of Jack, while other teams were trying to raise money, we were getting new gear every season. We also saw some stadium upgrades and had a weight room that would rival UVA Wise. We took chartered buses on games that where more than an hour away and it seemed like we had a team steak dinner every other week. The best part was, if you played a good game you got a little "allowance" afterwards.

    So there may be problems in Coeburn, but I assure you JD did much more good than bad. Most of the folks that blame him weren't very good or had kids that weren't good anyway.

    With all of that said, Jack lives in Florida now and doesn't have much to do with Coeburn high anymore.
    whoa whoa whoa

    so you are saying, there was a Coeburn booster that used to PAY kids if they had a good game?

    Im not sure about VHSL rules, but obviously that takes away any collegiate players Coeburn has had. Taking money for playing is losing your status as an amateur athlete, correct?

    I would not believe it if someone told me this practice was 100% legal in HS.
    Miami has gotten trouble for something like that, with Luke from 2 Live Crew, Alabama's had their issues.


    Stripes, someone explain this one to me;
    can HS boosters pay kids for good games legally?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •